After yesterday’s post it felt kind of awkward to jump into a post about what races I am planning to do this year. I tend to get in an “all or nothing mindset” so when I’m not running I feel like I will never run or race again and then a week later when I am back to running I want to run all the miles and all the races. I think I need to figure out a way to find a happy medium.
So, during my little running break I came up with a tentative race schedule to keep me motivated and focusing on long-term goals. I figured I wouldn’t plan any races until March to allow myself more flexibility this winter.
1. March 14: Rock N Roll USA half-marathon
2. April 12: Red Shoe Shuffle 5k
3. April 18: Sole of the City 10k
4. May 9: Maryland half-marathon or 5k
5. May 25: Jeremy’s Run 10k
5. June 6: Baltimore 10 miler
6. July (date not confirmed): Molly Murphy Memorial 5k
7. July (date not confirmed): Pikesville 5k
8. September 5: Charles St 12 miler
9. September 27: NCR 20 miler (if I end up doing the Twin cities marathon on 10/4 I wouldn’t do this)
10. October 4: Twin Cities Marathon** really not sure about this but see notes below
11. October 17: Baltimore half-marathon
12. November 26: Turkey Trot: maybe this 5 miler
My goal for the year is to run 15 races. (Of course that is dependent on how the year goes- I would rather focus on running healthily throughout the year than getting all of those races in, but I do want to race more to get more comfortable pushing myself.)
I only came up with 12 at this point because it’s so early in the year and a lot of races aren’t even set yet. If all goes well I will add on a 5k in December and a few others throughout the year.
It would also be fun to meet up with other bloggers at a race somewhere (like a New York City meet up which Meredith, Michele and I were talking about on Instagram! Cori also mentioned a Ragnar which I had to look up (it’s October 2-3rd) but that is a lot of planning and work so I don’t know if we would figure it out for this year….plus that is the weekend of Twin Cities Marathon which I thought may potentially be a good goal marathon for this year.
3 reasons why this would be a good goal marathon:
1) One of my best friends is supposed to move to Minneapolis this year so of course I will need to visit.
2) It’s listed as a top BQ race
3) Suz did this race last year and killed it. She could also tell me everything there is to know about the course.
The other full I would consider is Richmond on November 14th. This would be good if I wanted a later marathon like last year.
We are only 13 days in to the year so there is still a long way to go, but I think this is a decent plan for now! I guess I need to slowly start registering for some of these races at some point so that I can actually run them!
Now, for a virtual vision board to keep me motivated!
Will you be running any of these races?
Is your race schedule set for 2015?
What is your goal race for this year?