I’m almost at the one month mark since my foot started hurting. During that time I have run 3 times. I don’t have a gym, so my only workouts are what I can do at home. When I was away last month I got to use ellipticals in hotel gyms for 2 days, but other than that I haven’t been doing any cardio.
I’m not really feeling like posting about being injured/coping with the emotional side of injury, or anything like that. It’s frustrating, but life goes on. Instead, today I thought I would share some other, non-running, things that I have been doing lately! I always wonder how I would fill my time if I didn’t run, and now I guess I know. (I think before when I have been injured I filled that time by going to the gym or PT, so this time around is a little different for me.)
1. Resting. Or at least trying to rest. For awhile my goal was to just stay off my feet as much as possible This meant not doing ANY workouts because I didn’t know if even standing on it to strength train or bending my foot during yoga would make it worse. So I still get up early (but sometimes not AS early), and just relax. Ya know, like a crazy person with a cup of coffee at 5am. I guess some habits are hard to break.
2. Strength training. So now that the pain has mostly subsided I have been spending some more time strength training. It’s nice to be able to spread it out more throughout the week. I figure I can do a little strength training 4-5 days a week rather than cramming more exercises into 1-2 days a week like I was doing before.
3. Yoga. I haven’t done this as much as I anticipated, but I have definitely done it a few times and am always glad I did. I think all the downward dogs are a great way to stretch out my calves.
4. Walking. This week I started going for walks to test out my foot. It’s been nice to be outside again, but the jury is still out on whether or not it aggravates my foot. I can walk around at work all day and feel fine, then go for a walk around the block in running shoes and I notice it again. It’s probably cumulative from my walking throughout the entire day, so I just try to keep in mind how much walking I do at work when deciding if I will also walk at home.
5. Drinking wine and beer. No, I’m not drinking heavily or anything like that. But I have continued to enjoy my wine as I always have, and I’ve been back to enjoying beers as well. This seems to be a seasonal thing for me. Last summer I was drinking Sam’s Summer and around Christmas I drink Great Lake’s Christmas Ale. Well a few weeks ago I tried Dogfish 60 minute IPA and found that I really like it! I’m sure Rob isn’t happy about this because before he never had to worry about sharing:)
What do you like to do when you can’t run?
Do you like drinking beer in the summer?
How many days a week do you strength train?