It’s been awhile since I joined a Friday Five link-up, but I did participate back when we talked about favorite summer and fall activities, so I thought that winter deserved a little attention this year too. You may know that I am not really a fan of winter, but I am going to try to point out some of the things I do like about this time of year.
- Baking- There is something about the cold weather that makes baking so comforting. It warms the whole house, leaves the kitchen smelling delicious, and you end up with treats to eat while you are stuck indoors.
- A fireplace- This is the first year that we have had a functional fireplace, and it’s so nice! We use it like every day even though it hasn’t been that cold yet. It really makes it feel like the holiday season, I think.
- Red wine- Well, wine is pretty much my drink of choice all year round, but in the winter red wine is definitely my #1 drink because I don’t want anything cold.
- Weekend mornings (consisting of coffee and pajamas)- Now that marathon training is over the weekends are much more relaxing. I love being able to curl up on the couch in my pajamas with a cup of coffee reading blogs until I feel like heading out for a run.
- Running!- Winter is not my favorite season to run. but I love running any time of the year. I do enjoy running in the snow as long as it’s not icy, and I can handle low temps, it’s just the wind chill that really gets to me.
And now, onto my runfessions. I haven’t done these in a while either, but I guess I have some things to get off my chest:
-You know how I just said I like to lay around on the couch all morning? Yea, that has been really nice. It’s super hard to get out the door, and I certainly can’t blame the weather.
-I have actually been enjoying all these other workouts I have been doing. Most days I am happy to just go downstairs to get in a quick workout rather than head outside for a run.
-I haven’t had any desire to run more than a few miles or sign up for any races. This is very unlike me! I find myself thinking that I “should” want to do those things, but then I remember it’s better that I don’t have those desires right now- it’s my time to rest and recover!
-I only ran 5 miles on Saturday (just because 45 minutes seemed like a good amount of time to be running) but that night my knee started hurting. It was so weird, because I had barely run at all that week. It bothered me all day Sunday. But luckily, because of my current “not caring about running” mindset, I didn’t freak out at all and just figured that my body is still recovering from all my hard training. It felt fine by Tuesday, but I didn’t run until Thursday. I have no idea what caused it (because I really don’t think it was an easy 5 mile run), but maybe a combination of all the different workouts I had done that week.
I’m sure I’ll get out of this rut soon (if that’s even what you can call it) but I feel like a bad running blogger to admit all of this! Really though, I think that this just makes me more of a normal person, which usually, I am not:)
Do you try to get yourself out of a running rut, or just go with it?
What are your favorite things about winter?
Does it make you feel guilty to admit it when you don’t miss running as much as usual?