Let’s start off today by talking about some typical thoughts that may or may not go through your mind while you are running a 5k. Having done three 5ks in the past three months, I am quite familiar with these thoughts:
Mile 0-.5: “Don’t start out too fast. Why is everyone else starting out so fast? This can’t possibly be my 5k pace.”
Mile .5-1: “How am I completely out of breath already? Have I really not passed the 1 mile marker yet? I must have missed it. These mile markers must be wrong” (Glances at watch) “How have I only been running for X minutes!?”
Mile 1-1.5: “Ok I am started to settle in a bit. But I need more downhills. Why are there so many uphills in this course?”
Mile 1.5-2: “I’ve made it this far, might as well keep at it. Wait never mind this is stupid. I don’t even care how I do in this race because this hurts and I just want to stop”
Mile 2-2.5: “I really don’t think 5ks are for me. I won’t be running another one probably ever again. Why are there so many uphills?!”
Mile 2.5-3: “Ok, less than a mile to go, I can do this. But it’s still stupid and I hate 5ks and I just want to be done”
Mile 3-3.1: “Ok time to pick it up…wait I can’t possibly go any faster because I feel like my legs are gonna fall off!” (Crosses finish line) “Alright I should probably do another one soon and try to beat my time”
I know I promised a race recap from last weekend- that should be up tomorrow!
And now, for a few other random things on this Thursday:
1. I actually like the t-shirt I got from my most recent 5k. It fits perfectly! I hate when they are really tight and small….I never wear them. And if they are too big I sleep in them.
2. I use vaseline when I wear my heart rate monitor to prevent chafing, an its been staining my running shirts.
3. My office ran out of water this week. For 2 days we had to go to another floor to secretly fill up our water bottles. We finally got a delivery Wednesday afternoon.
4. I have been working on my headstands! I do them up against my bed so I won’t be as scared.
5. And finally, we tried a new Larabar flavor this week! They actually taste like peanut butter and jelly!
And that is all I have for today! Be sure to head over and check out what everyone else is thinking about!
What are some thoughts you have had during a 5k?
Can you do a headstand?
Do you usually like your race shirts?