Well it’s Friday (finally!) and today’s theme for the Friday 5 link-up is “ways to celebrate”. Plus, today is our 5 year wedding anniversary! So I thought it would be appropriate to look back on the past 5 years and share some highlights.
1. Year 1: We waited a few months after our wedding to go on our Honeymoon, so in January 2013 we went to Hawaii. On our way there we stopped in Houston to run a marathon. This was Rob’s first full marathon! The weather was pretty awful but it made our time in Hawaii that much better. We celebrated our one year anniversary by going wine tasting in Mt. Airy. I had started blogging that year so I wrote about it here! We also started our annual tradition of going to the Marriott where our wedding was held for a drink. And of course we ate one year old wedding cake.
2. Year 2: We did another marathon together, this time in Raleigh in April. The best way to describe this race is “hot and hilly”. When our two year anniversary came around, we went to Annapolis for the day. I also shared a post with lots of wedding pics, since I didn’t have a blog back when we got married! We were also gearing up to run the Philly Marathon a few weeks later.
3. Year 3: During year 3 we bought a house! We moved in April, 2015. That was pretty much all I remember from that year. We celebrated our anniversary a few weeks early because it was a busy month in November. I was away for a conference the weekend before our actual anniversary and then we were getting ready to run the Route 66 marathon two weeks later. So in October, we went to DC for the weekend. We spent Saturday morning running 20 miles on one of the DC trails! I posted all about that trip here. For our actual anniversary weekend we went out to dinner downtown and then to the Marriott for our annual drink.
4. Year 4: There were no marathons in year 4, as this was the beginning of my injury. We did some shorter races in the spring, but nothing in the fall. Our big trip that year was going to Hawaii with Rob’s family. For our anniversary we kept things simple. We just went out to dinner at our favorite restaurant, Flemings, and went to the Marriott for an anniversary drink.
5. Year 5: This year! Once again I didnt’ run any marathons, but Rob did! And he let me coach him. This took our marriage to a while new level:) We don’t have any big travel plans for this year, but at least we got to go away to Charleston in August! With my sister’s wedding last weekend we knew this would be a busy month. We will probably go to dinner downtown and try to make it to the Marriott for a drink (if we can stay up late enough!) This was definitely the fastest year yet. I feel like we literally just celebrate 4 years and now it’s already 5. Pretty crazy how fast those years have gone.
While we do try to make our anniversary celebrations special, sometimes it’s nice to just keep things low-key. I probably thought we would do something big for 5 years but it really snuck up on us! Maybe we should start planning for what we will do when we hit 10 years, since I’m sure that will go by just as fast.
Do you have any annual traditions?
For those who are married, how do you celebrate your anniversary?
Does your significant other run? Do you run together?