Now that we are a few days into August, it’s time for me to reflect on how I did with my goals during the month of July. Due to this foot injury, I really didn’t work towards most of my goals. I still think it’s worth looking back on the month anyway. I feel like this whole spring and summer I have just been “waiting” for things….like for the weather to warm up (which eventually it did), for my foot to heal (which is taking much longer than I would like) and for my deck to be finished (we thought it would be done weeks ago and is finally complete now!) Playing the waiting game is no way to enjoy the summer, so it’s important to recognize all the good things that are going on and try to appreciate the summer before it passes by.
Summary of July:
When I think back on the month what stands out is last week’s vacation and spending time with family. Other than that I am not exactly sure what happened. There was the 4th of July weekend, a day trip to NJ for a Baptism, and a busy few weeks at work. I saw a PT to have my gait analyzed and started really focusing on hip strengthening exercises. My foot made a lot of improvement, then there were some set backs. To say this has been frustrating is an understatement.
I can’t even say I have regrets about doing something to cause/delay this injury. It truly seemed to come out of the blue and I have been as smart as possible with my return to running. Some days it flares up and I just can’t figure out why. I guess I just need to keep in mind that our bodies are capable of healing if we let them, so by continuing to rest as needed, taking it easy, and continuing to work on imbalances I will be doing the best I can. One of the reasons it’s been even more frustrating is that I don’t have any way to do cardio other than running. I have considered trying to get access to a gym but it’s just not practical with one car. I’ll continue thinking about it and see how the next few weeks go but I have a feeling I’ll just be doing a lot of strength training and yoga if I can’t run.
A few other posts from this month:
- Continue to work on staying strong and healthy As I said, I am still trying to recovery from a foot injury. I had about 2 weeks of zero pain and started to ease back into running. Then it started to flare up again every few days, leading to some more time off. I have been good about my PT exercises but it’s hard to stay motivated when I don’t even know if they are helping.
- Run/Walk 2016 miles I haven’t really been tracking mileage this month. I have been running based on time, and if I had to guess I would say I probably ran about 15-20 miles this month. My Vivofit died a few weeks ago so I haven’t been tracking my steps either. I may just give an estimate so I can continue tracking for the year, but I haven’t gotten around to that yet.
- Work towards a BQ No comment.
- Work towards sub 1:40 half I am signed up for the Annapolis half on November 19th (you can save 10% using the code RUNNINGOUTOFWINE16!) but I guess I will have to see how my foot is doing when it’s time to train.
- Do at least 10 push-ups 3 days per week I managed to do this throughout July. In general I had more of a focus on strength training which isn’t a bad thing.
- Improve posture I definitely ignored this one while I was on vacation. At work, it’s been ok. Always room for improvement though.
- Move more There were times when I wanted to move less just to minimize time on my feet. But in general I think there was a pretty good balance with this.
- Focus on saving money This month went pretty well. There were no major expenses so that helped. My biggest expense was groceries (which really adds up some months!)
- Get back in the habit of weekly meal prep I’ve been keeping things minimal but still getting enough done to make for easy meals throughout the week.
- Make time to unplug I did pretty well unplugging when I was away. Now that our deck is done I hope to be spending more time outside and less on the laptop!
How did you do with your goals in July?
What are you looking forward to in August?
Do you ever feel like you are just waiting for things to happen meanwhile time is just passing you by?