It’s been awhile since I shared a recipe on here! I think my creativity in the kitchen has been low lately, but as you know I have still been meal prepping each weekend! As I was prepping last weekend I thought I would share one of my easiest, healthiest, go-to meals that I can prep over the weekend and put together quickly on a weeknight.
In order to prep this meal over the weekend, all I do is roast the squash and make the meatballs. I am going to share how I do this but you can vary it in any way you like! There are many ways to cook a spaghetti squash (check out this post from The Lean Green Bean if you need ideas) but I will share what has worked for me.
- A medium or large spaghetti squash
- Pasta sauce of choice
- Spinach (optional)
- Olive oil for cooking
- pound of ground turkey or ground beef
- 1 cup of tomato sauce (I use tomato-basil flavored)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- Italian spices (garlic, basil, oregano work well)
- Pre-heat oven to 425. Rinse off the squash and cut off the ends. Slice the squash down the middle and scoop out seeds.
- Place face-down on a baking sheet (I put mine on foil) and bake for 25 mins. (I have found that cooking times vary based on size of squash- usually I can tell it's done when the corners start to look a little brown and the skin is soft when poked with a fork). Let the squash cool while you get to work on your meatballs.
- Once it's cool, scoop out the stringy spaghetti squash and store in a container in the refrigerator. I plan to use the squash within 3 days of cooking.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 (if you just finished cooking squash let the oven cool a bit).
- Mix together ingredients
- Form into meatballs and place on baking sheet (again- I used foil) sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Store in container in fridge. I usually freeze half of the batch to use another time.
- On the night you want to make this for dinner, heat your meatballs by either placing them in tomato sauce on the stove and simmering until hot, or place in tomato sauce and microwave.
- Heat spaghetti squash by placing in a pot on the stove with some olive oil and cooking on medium heat until warmed throughout (stirring often), or microwave. Add the meatballs and sauce to the spaghetti squash and mix together.
- I always add spinach to this meal- all you do is add fresh spinach leaves to the pot of warmed spaghetti squash, meatballs, and sauce, and they will natural welt in a few minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
This may sound confusing but it’s actually really easy! After doing it once you won’t even need to follow the directions anymore 🙂
What’s your favorite make-ahead meal?
Do you like spaghetti squash or do you stick with pasta?