Shortly after this posts publishes, we will be off to do our final walkthrough and then close on our new home! It’s a very exciting day, but also a bit stressful and overwhelming!
As we have gotten closer to being able to move, I’ve started counting down the days until I am out of our current apartment. It’s small, old, and there’s alot of traffic nearby. Parking can be a pain and we don’t have any outdoor space. And the stairs…ugh so many stairs! Every week after going grocery shopping and having to lug everything inside I think about how nice it will be to carry groceries directly from a garage to the kitchen. And don’t even get me started on cooking in our current kitchen…I never have enough room to do anything!
Despite all of that, I am going to miss this place. We have lived here for 5 years and I am trying not to wish away the last few weeks that we have here. (We are renting through the end of April so we can move gradually into our house). Here are some of the things I am going to miss about living here.
1. A 3 minute commute to work. I work less than a mile from where I live (I need my car at work so I still drive) but it is the easiest commute ever. Rob walks to work and takes him 8 minutes. It is going to be quite a transition to start commuting every day!
2. Being able to walk places. We are far enough away from the bars that we don’t really hear noise from our place, but it’s easy to walk out to grab dinner or go to the harbor.
3. This was our first apartment together! We moved in together after dating for 5 years.
4. We got engaged here! Yep, Rob proposed inside of our apartment. I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way, but it’s weird that we will never be able to come to the spot where we got engaged.
5. Our first kiss was steps away from this place. When we met 10 years ago my friend Alli was living just around the corner from where we live now.
6. It’s not very big, so it doesn’t take that long to clean. On the other hand, it never actually looks clean so it is very frustrating.
7. THE RUNNING. I am really gonna miss being able to run around here. At least I will still be working down here so I can probably work out getting some runs in around here even after we move.
8. Being able to walk to yoga. I think I will still be able to go to Charm City Yoga once I move, but it was really nice to be able to walk to classes, especially when the weather is nice.
9. The freedom of “renting” vs “owning”. Whenever something went wrong, we called our landlord and she took care of it. Having never owned a home before, there’s gonna be alot to learn.
10. Not worrying about breaking things, spilling things, etc. I am rather clumsy and I am really worried that I’ll cause some problems in our brand new house. At least we have hardwood floors so I don’t have to worry about spilling red wine on the carpet!
I’m gonna miss this place, but we are on to bigger and better things. That’s pretty marvelous if you ask me:)
What was the longest time that you lived in one place?