It’s finally Thursday (even though I feel like it should be Friday by now) so I’m linking up at Running with Spoons for Thursdays are for Thinking Out Loud.
1. Planks are hard. Usually I do them for a minute or two, but I might change it up by alternating side planks, lifting an arm/leg, etc. I started The Lyon’s Share 30 Day Ab Challenge and as part of the challenge we hold a plank and add 5 seconds on each day. I don’t know what I was thinking by starting out with 2:30 plank, but it’s been rough. I’ve been scrolling through instagram on my phone and finding other ways to keep myself distracted to make the time go faster.
2. I’ve been trying to decide if I should run with music for Saturday’s 10 miler or not. I usually bring it for 1/2 and full marathons, but go without for shorter races. 10 miles is kind of right in the middle and I haven’t quite decided what to do. I might start without it, but bring headphones, I just don’t really want to be messing around with getting it started while I’m running. I’m not the most coordinated at doing other things while I am running. I would rather not have to make any more trips to patient first any time soon. (See: The run that was more painful that the marathon).
3. My calves have been feeling a little sore and tight lately but I don’t really like wearing compression socks to run while its hot out. This is another question mark for Saturday’s race. I ran with them this morning and I don’t think they made me feel any warmer than I already did, but I don’t like when they get all sweaty and stick to my legs. Yuck.
4. Sometimes I find it really hard to decide if I need a rest day or not. I typically “schedule” them for Sundays but I have been trying to be better about listening to my body. However, lately I have felt like easy runs have actually made anything that was tight feel better. When I get some intense ART from my chiro I usally feel a little sore the next day, but I have found that after an easy run it feels better. So my plan has been to see how I feel after 2 miles. If I feel better than when I started, I keep going. If I feel worse or not great, I cut it short. Usually by 2 miles I start to feel good so that’s worked as a good barometer lately.
5. I have had a serious Starbucks addiction lately. On Tuesday morning I decided that I “needed” an iced skinny vanilla latte before work. Its not on my way and I had no more money on my Starbucks gift card. I saw that Rob had a $15 card that he hadn’t used so I actually texted him to ask if I could steal it. He rarely goes to Starbucks, so he was fine with it, but that one drink cut the gift card down to $10. What an expensive habit. So this morning I tried to bring my own iced coffee with me to work but I got in and realized it was not yet cold. (It wasn’t really hot either). Total disappointment. Since tomorrow is Friday I will probably convince myself that I deserve another Starbucks trip for making it through the week.
How long can you hold a plank for?
Do you run with music when you race?
Do you wear compression socks when you run in the heat?
How do you decide if you need a rest day?
Are you addicted to Starbucks?