I wasn’t planning to do a weekly recap post from last week’s training, but then I figured it may be worth sharing. Not a lot of pictures, since there were only two runs that happened…although I should have taken pictures of all the wine that was consumed. ?
Monday: Hip and core exercises
Tuesday: Strength training
Wednesday: 3 miles
Thursday: Hip and core exercises, 20 minutes easy yoga
Saturday: 5 miles, foam rolling
Sunday: Foam rolling
Total: 8 miles
I guess now is as good of a time as any to start talking about my marathon goals. These are just my initial thoughts (and they are very general)- 16 weeks is a long time so I will probably have more specific goals as I get closer to the race.
1. Stay healthy- This one is pretty obvious and self-explanatory, right?
2. Run a strong and smart race- I was really happy with how I ran in Philly, and I would like to do the same thing this time around. I think this is one of the biggest challenges with racing a marathon, with it being such a long race. I’ve also heard that this is a hilly course, so proper pacing will be even more important.
3. Enjoy the training- It’s supposed to be fun! I typically enjoy marathon training, and I don’t want this time around to be any different. I am already excited to be back at it, although it’s still only week 1.
4. Learn from my coach- This is the first time I have had a coach, so it will be interesting to see how it affects my training. I am looking forward to having someone with more coaching experience and knowledge guide me through this process.
5. Hit my goal time- right now that is looking like it will be 3:40. Even though I wanted to go for a BQ this year, that would be a bit ambitious based on my current fitness. I don’t want to run myself into the ground focusing on speeds that are too fast, and my coach recommended that 3:40 was a good place to aim for. This would be a 6 minute PR and put my just 5 minutes away from a BQ,which I could focus on next year.
If you are training for a race right now, what are some of your goals?
How do you decide on your goal time?
Do you enjoy the process of marathon training?