There are so many good things about today. First of all, it’s Friday! It’s also Halloween…which could be a good or a bad thing depending on if you like the holiday. I’ve become indifferent to it, but it does mean a fun day at my school. Or wait, maybe it won’t be fun since the kids will likely get all hyped up on sugar. Anyway, it’s also a rest day and tomorrow is my final long run before taper begins! I am planning to do 20 tomorrow but I’ll have to see how I’m feeling. Right now I am optimistic but 20 miles is a looong way.
I felt like some appreciation for all of your awesome support lately has been long overdue. I’ve been thinking about hosting a giveaway for awhile, but wasn’t sure what I wanted to offer.
When I was at the expo for the Baltimore Running Festival, I came across the Bondi Band table and was excited to try one out because I have heard such great things. I’m embarrassed to tell you how long I spent searching through a pile of bands for the perfect one. I came across “Will Run For Wine” and decided that was pretty fitting. And then two minutes later I found another one that said the same thing! One was light blue and one was royal blue.
So, I bought both! I wore the light blue one for the race and maybe it was lucky because I set a PR and had a great time! Don’t worry, I’m not planning to give anyone my smelly, sweaty headband. I’m giving away the other royal blue one that I got at the expo!
As part of this giveaway, I also want to make you aware of Laura’s 2015 Run Across America. If you look over to the right on my sidebar, you should see a widget for a link to donate. However, there are many other ways to donate to this awesome cause! Not only is she doing something amazing (umm running across the country next summer?!) but it’s also for a great cause- for sexual violence awareness and prevention.
Here are some ways to donate taken from her post last week:
1. For a limited time only (the offer expires on Nov 4), you can purchase the “Run Across America” tank for $25. This not only helps me to raise money for the run, it also is my test of #2015RunAcrossAmerica apparel. If it goes well, then I’ll invest in a bigger store with men’s items, coffee cups, etc. Please help me make sure it goes well (plus the tank is super cute, right?)
2. Donate directly to the run at the main fundraising page. Even $5 helps, and if everyone donated five dollars today, we’d be a huge step closer to where I need to be.
Things I still need to raise money for:
-RV Rental or place to stay each night
-Running shoes (12-15 pairs)
-Assorted small things (see the Amazon wishlist)
-Daily run expenses (food, tolls, laundry, etc)
3. Last night, I had a dream that I would run each day, and then hitch a ride back to the start and drive my car to the next stopping point, starving and weak. It seemed unsustainable, even in my dream, and that’s because it is! If you are available and willing, I need at least one volunteer each day of the run, to drive the support vehicle or to run with me; I’m also hoping to find (and organize) a place to stay each night. If you are willing to volunteer a day or week of your time, please fill out the volunteer form.
I’ve got a giant spreadsheet that is just waiting to be filled up!
4. Blog about the run. In fact, you could actually just copy this blog post and paste it directly into a post (with links, of course), and I’d be as happy as a clam. And, bonus, one less post to have to write… Just in case you thought like that, which I’m sure you don’t.
5. Share the run on social media. To help you do just that, I’ve even written a few sample tweets:
Support the #2015RunAcrossAmerica for sexual violence awareness by donating $5 http://www.gofundme.com/aozefw #EveryDollarCounts @laurajayneblog
We can all make a difference. Support #2015RunAcrossAmerica for Sexual Violence prevention https://www.booster.com/2015runacrossamerica @laurajayneblog
Share on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest… They all help!
In the spirit of Friday, I’m just asking that you do one of these things today! If every person who reads this post does just that, we’ll take a huge step forward to next year’s run!
So as a way to earn 5 entries in my giveaway, please try to help in some way! There are other ways to enter the giveaway too, but please consider helping this important cause if you can.
The giveaway ends next Tuesday night and I’ll announce the winner in Thursday’s blog post!
Do you own any Bondi Bands? What do they say?
What do you run for? (If not wine…or if you do run for wine, what else do you run for?)