This may be a stretch, but as marathon training and a new school year started just a week apart, I couldn’t help but notice the similarities between the two. Let me point out that I am not a teacher, and I work a 12 month schedule so I can’t directly relate to people who go back to school in the fall. But my job changes a lot from when the kids are off in the summer (when I mostly do paperwork and trainings, and try to take some vacations), to when they kids come back and things get crazy and hectic:)
- When you are getting ready to train for a marathon, you come up with a plan, and have expectations that this will be the best training cycle and marathon yet! Same goes for going back to school- you start to plan for the upcoming year and have great expectations for a new beginning.
- You experience a lot of emotions about the new start: You’re nervous, excited, a little sad maybe, and hopeful.
- You can’t resist going shopping for some new clothes/gear/supplies.
- The first day is like a clean slate. That first run, that first day of school, its a new beginning and you can forget about the past when things may not have gone according to plan.
- You’re feeling refreshed from a break, but also ready to work hard again.
- Once you get started you start to look forward to breaks again. You start to get tired faster than you expected and count down to days off.
- After you are a few weeks in, you start to get overwhelmed, tired, and stressed out again. You start questioning why you do this?
- There are many highs and lows. Some days you just want to cry and other days you are so proud of what you do.
- You start to look forward to when it will end- but you know you still have a long way to go.
- You might gain a few pounds throughout the process due to an increased hunger and being unable to turn down treats.
- Suddenly the end is in sight- things slow down, and the mixed feelings start to come back- is it really gonna be all over soon?
- That last day/the marathon is the most exciting day of it all- but you are also having many other emotions making it hard for you to just enjoy it.
- All of a sudden its all over again. At first you appreciate the break but you quickly get bored and start looking forward to the next one again. You try to focus on relaxing and giving yourself a break- but who are you kidding? That’s just not your personality.
We do it because we love it. It can be challenging, frustrating, and stressful at times but in the end you know you couldn’t imagine NOT doing it!
Good luck to all the teachers, school staff, and kids heading back to school (and their parents!) Here’s to a MARVELOUS school year and training cycle!
If you work in a school/go to school/have kids in school- can you relate to any of these things? Anything I forgot?