It’s been way too long since I have shared my runfessions, but as I have been running more and starting to race again it’s time to do some sharing. Be sure to join the link-up and share your own!
1. Every year around this time I struggle with my hair getting in knots when I run in the humidity and/or rain. Before my race last Saturday, I decided to try a trick that I read about in Laura’s post a few months ago: I put coconut oil in my hair and then braided it. Usually when I braid my hair it shrinks up into a huge ball of knots before I am even done running, but this time it stayed in a braid and was easy to comb through before my shower! I am definitely going to continue doing this, although I did feel kind of gross greasing up my hair with coconut oil.
2. Other embarrassing facts about my race a few weeks ago: the smelling and the chafing. I don’t deal with these issues as much in the winter, but it’s like spring comes and I am reminded that I can’t escape them. How many times have I swore I would never skip using body glide again? Well once again I am making that promise.
3. I have to admit that my recent appreciation for running is definitely tied to being outside in the daylight. I don’t think I realized how much all those dark, cold mornings affected me. Now I just need to appreciate the spring/summer months (despite the heat and humidity that will be here soon!) knowing that my motivation will probably decrease once again when the days get shorter. But let’s not think that far ahead just yet. I always prided myself on being a year-round runner so I feel a little guilty admitting just how rough the winters can be to get through.
4. This time of year is my “sweet-spot” for running I think. I notice that my easy pace is faster than the colder and warmer months. I know there are alot of runners that run faster in the cold, but I feel like my body doesn’t want to move and never really warms up. When it gets too hot I slow down too. These 40-60 degree temperatures are perfect.
5. There is a hill in one direction from my house that I have been avoiding for months. It’s about a mile long and descends on the way out, so the way back is really a struggle. Last Sunday I finally got over myself and ran that way for my 9 mile run. The last uphill mile was really tough, but I did it, and it’s those kinds of runs that make us stronger.
[Tweet “Time to share those “runfessions”! What do you have to get off your chest this month? @runningoutowine #fridayfive”]
What do you have to runfess lately?
Do you avoid a certain route due to hills?
Have you ever tried using coconut oil in your hair?